Department of Treasury and Finance logo

Department of Treasury and Finance
Lodging Documents for Duty Assessment

You or your representative need to lodge the agreement for sale and transfer instrument with the SRO. You can submit a copy of the agreement but the transfer instrument must be the original instrument and must be signed and dated.

Documents can either be lodged in person at Level 3, 80 Elizabeth Street, Hobart or mailed to:

GPO Box 1374
Hobart TAS 7001

Alternatively, your representative may lodge and pay duty on your transaction via Tasmanian Revenue Online.

An assessment notice will only be issued if payment is not submitted with the documents or if duty is underpaid. Use the Property Transfer Duty Calculator to estimate the duty owed.

For transactions that commenced on or after 1 July 2009, duty is payable within three months of a transfer occurring (ie within 3 months of the settlement date).

For transactions that commenced on or before 30 June 2009, duty is payable within three months of the date the transaction commenced. In certain circumstances, an extension of time to pay duty may be applicable.

Further information is available in Assessing Duty - Frequently Asked Questions and Paying Property Transfer Duty.

What if I don’t have any documents to lodge?

If there is no written agreement for sale or transfer instrument, the following must be provided:

How do I request a reassessment or refund?

Failed Instruments

A failed instrument is an instrument that fails in its intended operation and becomes useless.

An Application for a Reassessment PDF icon of duty in respect of a failed instrument must be made within 3 years after the initial assessment (or 3 years after the payment of duty pursuant to a special arrangement for the lodging of returns and payment of tax under Part 6 of the Taxation Administration Act 1997) or 12 months after the instrument has failed, whichever is the later.

The instrument in respect of which the application is made must be produced to the Commissioner of State Revenue (the “Commissioner”) unless the Commissioner dispenses with its production.

Failed instruments will be retained by the Commissioner for three months before being destroyed.

Cancelled Agreements

You can apply for a refund if you have cancelled (rescinded or annulled) an agreement for sale or if you have overpaid duty.

To apply for a refund of duty, contact the State Revenue Office by e-mail and include:
  • your name, address and contact details
  • names of the Purchaser(s) and Vendor(s) in the cancelled agreement
  • description of property
  • date of agreement
  • date agreement rescinded or anulled, and
  • reason agreement was rescinded or anulled

Refunds on cancelled agreements are only available if the agreement was entered into on or before 30 June 2009 and duty has been paid on the agreement.