First home buyers of established homes duty concession
The concession provides a 50 per cent discount on property transfer duty for first home buyers of an established home, which has a dutiable value of:
- $400 000 or less for property purchases between 7 February 2018 and 15 March 2021 (inclusive); or
- $500 000 or less for property purchases between 16 March 2021 and 31 December 2021 (inclusive).; or
- $600 000 or less for property purchases between 1 January 2022 and 30 June 2024 (inclusive).
To be eligible for this exemption
all of the purchasers/transferees:
- must purchase an established home in Tasmania that does not exceed;
- $400 000 or less between 7 February 2018 and15 March 2021 (inclusive); or
- $500 000 or less between 16 March 2021 and 31 December 2021 (inclusive); or
- $600 000 or less between 1 January 2022 and 30 June 2024 (inclusive); and
- must be a natural person (not a company or a trust); and
- must be at least 18 years of age*; and
- must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident - or if there is more than one applicant, at least one of them must meet this criteria; and
- must not have previously owned a home (or have a spouse/partner who owned a home) in Australia; and
- must not have received a First Home Owner Grant in any state or territory of Australia or the Duty Concession before (or have a spouse/partner who has); and
- must fully complete the application form and lodge with all relevant supporting documentation; and
- must ensure each person holding a relevant interest in the property is listed on the application form.
In addition to the above requirements, eligible transferees must occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of 6 months commencing within 12 months of purchasing the property*.
To comply with the requirement of a principal place of residence, the property must be the place at which you usually eat and sleep – leaving personal belongings at a vacant residence is not sufficient to meet this condition. The duty concession may be applied in anticipation of this requirement being met.
* The Commissioner has a discretion to vary this requirement in some circumstances.
How to apply
To apply for the First home buyers of established homes duty concession or a duty refund:
To submit by mail, you will need:
To submit via Tasmanian Revenue Online, you will need:
How to apply for a refund
To apply for a refund where full duty has been paid:
For additional information, refer to: